The Media Relations Manager, supporting the Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications, assists in maintaining and improving FS Investments’ public image through enhanced communications with press and broadcast media. The function is also responsible for influencing and extending the brand strategy through working in partnership with Investor Relations, Marketing, Fund Management, Government Affairs, Human Resources, and Investment Management, to ensure Media Relations is properly reflecting the firm’s message to the media in a consistent manner.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Assist and support company spokespersons in developing and maintaining relationships of trust and respect between the company and the media.
- Be responsible for aiding in the development and production of: transaction and new hires press releases, contributed content (e.g., bylines, columns), handling inbound media inquiries, scheduling and preparing, including preparing interview briefing documents for senior management, and partnering with the Fund Strategy team on communications to the Sales organization.
- Closely monitor traditional media outlets for references to FS Investments, competitors, regulatory initiatives, and business partners. Coordinate with Director of Social Media to monitor social media channels as well.
- Serve as liaison with external public relations agencies, including sharing marketing initiatives and analyzing monthly invoicing.
- Help manage a proactive and reactive flow of interaction between the media and company, leveraging media to further build the FS brand.
- Interact with company’s leadership, as appropriate, to assist with communication of events/strategies.
- Assist in leading, developing, and implementing company-wide integrated corporate communications strategies for executive management.
- Develop qualitative and quantitative measurement systems to assess reputation and apprise management of key news developments involving the public perception of corporate and industry activities, including maintaining and enhancing the media tracking database.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Communications, Journalism, Business Administration or any related field preferred; Master’s degree a plus)
- 5–8 years of experience in a similar role in financial services preferred
- Solid understanding of the financial services industry, including regulatory and compliance issues, for purposes of communicating effectively with the media
- Experience in positioning and supporting successful communication strategies around new product offering initiatives, regulatory issues, and crisis management preferred
- Strong project management skills and strategic thinking capabilities
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines and quickly work through unforeseen issues that arise
- Ability to help develop communications strategy and lead execution
- Prior experience developing quantitative metrics preferred
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with executive management
Character—Exhibits integrity, professionalism, practical judgment, positive attitude at all times; exhibits perseverance, mental toughness and initiative in the face of problems and challenges; must be able to take direction and accept constructive criticism.
Interpersonal confidence—Strong interpersonal skills; can effectively communicate and relate to all levels within and outside the organization; possesses the ability to influence and creates and builds positive and productive relationships.
Results oriented—Drives the team and the organization for results in order to improve performance; able to make timely or planned decisions appropriate to the circumstances or situation.
Teamwork—Self-starter but also effective as a member of a team; willing to put firm’s objectives ahead of individual goals.
Communication—Excellent communication and listening skills are required.
Organizational ability—Can organize people and resources to prioritize and get projects completed; can create a plan for resourceful workflow and has a strong ability to multitask and keep order in a fast paced, high-energy work environment.
About FS Investments
FS Investments is a leading manager of alternative investment funds designed to enhance investors’ portfolios by providing access to asset classes, strategies and asset managers that typically have been available to only the largest institutional investors. The firm’s funds offer “endowment-style” investment strategies that help construct truly diversified portfolios and manage risk. FS Investments strives not only to maximize investment returns, but also to set the industry standard for best practices by focusing on transparency, investor protection and education for investment professionals and their clients.
Founded in Philadelphia in 2007, FS Investments quickly established itself as a leader in the world of alternative investments managing over $18 billion in assets (as of 6/30/2016). FS Investments was named one of Philadelphia’s Best Places to Work and ranked by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Most Promising Companies. FS Investments distributes its funds through its affiliated broker-dealer, FS Investment Solutions, LLC.
FS Investments offers an exceptional benefits and wellness program and a highly competitive compensation package.
FS Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer.